Saturday 18 August 2012

Part- Time Paleo (1)

I have not written a 'lifestyle' post in a long time.. So here goes!

A few months back, I saw the Reebok Crossfit ad on telly and coerced the boyf into researching how we could get involved. After finding our closest Crossfit Affiliate and completing our fundamentals program, I can definitely say, we are both hooked! It's an amazing way of training, but better still the entire ethos or community of this 'competitive fitness' program is unparalleled.

So after scouring the internet and watching the Crossfit Games I wanted to learn more about the Paleo diet. I am an ex-carb queen and have been a fan in the past of going low-carb prior to 'bikini reveal' on my annual holiday to Portugal to 'lean up' aka lose of bit of flubber.

The Paleo diet, as I understand it, is a diet consisting of Meat, Veg, Nuts, Seeds, little Fruit, NO Sugar, and NO Starch.

This seemed super daunting back in May, but once I stopped thinking about what I couldn't have, common phrase, "I can't have that, its not on the list" and started broadening my horizons about all the things I can enjoy, I learnt that you can create super tasty, healthy recipes in a flash without 100's of ingredients.

This is the 'food list' I try to follow 80% of the time- Paleo Food List

That being said, I found Breakfast one of the hardest meals to adapt from 'Carb Queen' to 'Paleo Warrior'. Insert my first Paleo recipe- 'The Fake French'. This recipe is far from original, its a slightly adapted recipe from the amazing Livin Paleo

Ingredients-
Small Apple- core, cut into little pieces and peel if you can be bothered (i didn't)
2 Free Range Eggs
1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 tsp Agave Nectar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Nutmeg

How to-
Cut up apple and heat in a pan
Add eggs and milk
Season
Drizzle with honey
Chow Down!!!

This recipe is totally adaptable- use coconut milk, vanilla, bananas... GET CREATIVE! Now take a look a my tasty breakfast!

from my Instagram (lizfish1)
Hope you enjoyed this post! What are my fellow 'Paleo Warriors' eating today??

Liz x

4 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, I follow you on youtube and so glad you wrote this blog post! Me and my man have just discovered Cross Fit in our local town! I'm nervous that it's going to be a little too intense for me. How are you finding it? We are also starting the paleo diet! We're getting married next year and both want to get fit (well mainly me, lose a bit of flubber too hehe). This recipe sounds amazing!! Will def be trying it this week :) Livin Paleo looks like a fantastic blog to follow, just what we were after.
    Thanks Liz, let me know how you get on xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! That's the nicest comment ever! Thank you do much for your kind words! I did find the first Crossfit session slightly daunting, it was the first time I'd seen women in particular lifting heavy and swinging big kettle bells around, but everyone is so nice and super encouraging :-) once you start training the crossfit way, you won't look back, you get noticeable results fast! Glad you like the look of the recipe, it was nice to make eggs sweet for a change! Ahhh I'm getting married next year too, congratulations! Xxx

      Delete
  2. Love your take on this! And thanks for the credit :) Also, love reading your blog and glad to see you're crossfitting! It is addicting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love you recipes, you are such a creative paleo cook :-) makes it sooo much easier for me to follow! And you are 100% right, once you go Crossfit, you don't go back xx

      Delete